Drawing a raster layer transparently
There are three ways to adjust the transparency for a raster layer.
- The most interactive and recommended method is described in the steps below. This method uses the Image Analysis window and allows you to change the transparency for more than one raster layer at a time.
- The second method uses the Effects toolbar. To make this method interactive, you need to check the option to Allow interactive display for Effects toolbar on the Display tab on the Layer Properties dialog box.
- The third method requires you to enter the transparency value on the Display tab on the Layer Properties dialog box.
When you add a raster layer to a basemap layer in your table of contents, you cannot alter the transparency, contrast, or brightness of that layer.
- To view the Image Analysis window in ArcMap, click Windows on the Main menu, then click Image Analysis.
- Select one or more raster layers in the Image Analysis window.
- Next to the Transparency button , you can drag the slider to increase or decrease the transparency value or you can type a value in the text box.
- Optionally, click the Transparency button to change it back to the default.