Topology and versioned geodatabases
This topic applies to ArcEditor and ArcInfo only.
Working with topology in versioned geodatabases is relatively straightforward. But first, you need to understand some version-based workflows and the behavior of topology in a versioned environment.
Adding to and changing the schema of a versioned geodatabase
Making any schema changes to a geodatabase dataset requires that you first register it as unversioned, make the schema changes, then register it as versioned to begin using it.
Creating a topology in a versioned geodatabase
The process for creating a new topology or changing the schema of an existing topology in a versioned feature dataset requires that you follow the steps for making schema changes to a versioned geodatabase. First, you must unregister the feature dataset as versioned. Then, you can create a topology using the typical creation steps, and finally, declare that your feature dataset is versioned. Here are the steps:
- Create a custom toolbar in ArcCatalog for working with versioned geodatabases.
- In ArcCatalog, choose Customize > Customize Mode and, on the Toolbars tab of the Customize dialog box, choose New to create a new toolbar. Give your new ArcCatalog toolbar a name.
- Click the Commands tab. Then, scroll down to and choose Geodatabase tools from the Categories list. You'll see a series of tools listed in the Commands list on the right-hand side.
- Drag and drop three tools from the Customize dialog box onto your new toolbar:
- Register As Versioned
- Unregister As Versioned
- Compress Database
- Click Close to create the custom toolbar.
- Unregister the versioned feature dataset.
- First, reconcile and post against the default version all your outstanding versions in your geodatabase for this feature dataset. Note:
If you do not complete this step, and you still have edits remaining in existing versions, they will be lost when you unregister your data as versioned.
- Run Compress Database to compress all edits into the default version.
- Click the feature dataset and click Unregister As Versioned.
- First, reconcile and post against the default version all your outstanding versions in your geodatabase for this feature dataset.
- Create your new topology.
- Click the feature dataset and click Register As Versioned on your custom toolbar.