Defining a shapefile's coordinate system by selecting an existing coordinate system
- In ArcCatalog, click the shapefile whose coordinate system you want to define.
- Click the File menu and click Properties.
- Click the XY Coordinate System tab.
- Click Select.
Navigate to the coordinate system you want to use.
For example, you can use one of the predefined coordinate systems in the Coordinate Systems folder that was provided with ArcCatalog. Or you can use a projection file that was created with ArcInfo Workstation.
- Click the coordinate system.
The coordinate system's parameters are listed in the Details box.
- Click OK on the Shapefile Properties dialog box.