Calculating summary statistics in a report
Calculating a report with summary statistics will make the report easier to interpret. Summary statistics, along with the individual records in the report, will combine to show the complete set of information for the layer or table you are reporting on. For example, you can compute the sum, average, count, standard deviation, minimum, and maximum value of any numeric field.
On the third page of the Report Wizard, below the options to sort fields, click Summary Options.
The Summary Options dialog box appears.
- Click the Available Sections arrow and click the section where you want the statistics to appear.
- Check the box that corresponds to the statistic you want to display for each numeric field.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 to display statistics in each available section.
- Finish creating the report. On the last page of the Report Wizard, you will have two choices to view the report:
- Choose to preview the report to generate the report in the Report Viewer.
- Choose to modify the report's design to display the layout of the report in the Report Designer.
- If you would like to insert additional summary statistics in the report, you can only do so from the Report Designer.
Click Edit on the Report Viewer toolbar to toggle to the Report Designer.
- You can add a new summary statistic in the Report Designer by placing a TextBox element in the report section you want the value to display in.
- Set the Data Field property of the TextBox to the field you want to use for the statistic.
- Set the Summary Function property to the statistic you want. The default statistic is Sum.
- Set the Summary Group property if you want to calculate a statistical value for a group of records.
- Set the Summary Type property to calculate the statistic based on report sections. Use SubTotal for groups, PageTotal for pages, or GrandTotal for the entire report.