Exporting to netCDF data from a raster
You can export a raster or a raster catalog to a netCDF file. Raster cell values are exported as netCDF variables. Longitude and latitude, or x- and y-coordinate values, are exported as coordinate variables.
A single-band raster is exported as a variable of rank 2, which means it has two dimensions, representing x- and y-coordinates. A multiband raster is exported with an additional dimension to represent different bands. Fields from a raster catalog are exported as additional dimensions.
The Raster to NetCDF tool always creates a new netCDF file or overwrites an existing one. It does not append to an existing netCDF file.
- Click the Search window button or tab.
- Click Tools.
- Type Raster to NetCDF in the text box and click Search .
- Click Raster to NetCDF in the returned list to open the tool.
- Type the name in the Input Raster text box, or click the browse button to navigate to the input raster.
- Type the name in Output netCDF File, or leave the default.
- Type the variable name in the Variable text box, or leave the default.
- Type the units in Variable Units, or leave it empty.
- Type the dimension name in X Dimension, or leave the default.
- Type the dimension name in Y Dimension, or leave the default.
Type the dimension name in Band Dimension, or leave the default.
This parameter is applicable for a multiband raster input only.
- If the input is a raster catalog, click the Fields to Dimensions drop-down arrow and choose a field to make it a dimension of the variable specified in the Variable parameter.
- Click the Dimension column next to the added field and type in the dimension name, or leave the default.
- Click the Units column next to the added field and type in the units, or leave it empty.
- Repeat steps 12, 13, and 14 to add additional fields.
- Click OK.