Setting label rotation using a numeric field
Rotating labels by an attribute value will turn each label on the map by a specified angle. The rotation angle is taken from an attribute value you've associated with the feature. You can also specify a rotation value to be added to this angle. The alignment type options allow you to orient your label to the angle in either a straight, horizontal, or perpendicular fashion. To prevent the labels from flipping upside-down when rotating around the feature, check the Keep label upright (may flip) check box.
If the center placement option is selected, the label is placed at the center of the symbol and rotated by the specified angle. If any of the offset placement options are selected, the label is placed at the offset distance and rotated to the specified angle. The selected placement position will be overridden, and the placement will be determined by the angle when you choose to rotate labels by an attribute value. The angle represents either geographic or arithmetic coordinates. Geographic rotates labels from north in a clockwise direction, while Arithmetic rotates labels from east in a counterclockwise direction.
The image below shows points with their labels rotated with an attribute value. The values are 0, 90, 180, and 270.
- Click the Label Manager button on the Labeling toolbar.
- Check the check box next to the layer you want to label.
- Choose a label class under the layer.
- Click the Properties button.
- Click the Label Position tab.
- Check the Rotate by attribute check box.
- Click Settings.
- Choose a Rotation Field from the drop-down list.
Optionally, specify an Additional Rotation value to be added to the angle.
If a Rotation Field is not specified, the label will be rotated by the Additional Rotation value
- Choose a value for Rotation Type.
- Choose a value for Alignment Type: Straight, Horizontal, or Perpendicular.
- Optionally, check the Keep label upright (may flip) check box.
- Click OK to close all dialog boxes.
Geographic rotates labels from north in a clockwise direction, while Arithmetic rotates labels from east in a counterclockwise direction.
If this check box is unchecked, the labels might be placed upside-down.
The selected offset placement position is overridden by the angle.