Altering dataset permission in ArcSDE geodatabases for SQL Server Express
A user's permissions on datasets in an ArcSDE geodatabase for SQL Server Express are altered by assigning the user to one of three roles: None, Read Only, or Read/Write.
The following rules apply to assigning users to roles on datasets:
- Only the owner of the dataset can alter permissions on it.
- Only the owner of a dataset can drop the dataset or alter its definition; therefore, even if the owner of the dataset grants read/write privileges on a dataset to another user, that user cannot alter the schema of the dataset.
- You can only alter a user's permissions on one dataset at a time.
- It is not possible to grant a user different permissions to feature classes within a feature dataset.
- In the Catalog window, connect to the database server and the geodatabase that contains the dataset for which you want to alter permissions.
- Right-click the dataset for which you want to give specific permission to another user.
- Click Permissions.
- Choose the user or group from the list on the Permissions dialog box.
- Click the permission you want to grant for this dataset to this user or group (None, Read Only, or Read/Write).
- Click Apply.
- Click OK to close the dialog box.
The permissions for that user on that specific dataset are altered.