Importing a model from ArcView 3
Models created using ArcView 3 ModelBuilder can be imported into the ModelBuilder window as long as you have installed the ArcGIS Spatial Analyst extension. Each .xmd file can be converted to an ArcGIS model. If you are working in ArcMap and you have an ArcView 3 project, import the ArcView 3 project, then import the ArcView 3 model. However, you do not have to import the project. In any ArcGIS application with a display, layers added to the table of contents will be matched to the data referenced in the ArcView 3 model. Layer names need to be the same as the theme name in the ArcView 3 model. If a matching layer is not found for input data, the model will still be created. After importing the model in ArcMap, you can edit the input data variables to reference the project data.
Although most functions convert directly to ArcGIS tools, some functions will change their name, and some will convert to multiple tools.
Vector Conversion will become Feature To Raster. Point Interpolation will become IDW or Spline. DEM Conversion will change to DEM To Raster. Reclass will become Reclassify. Buffer will become a combination of Euclidean Distance and Reclassify. Arithmetic Overlay will become a combination of Plus, Minus, Times, Divide, and Reclassify.
Importing ArcView 3 project to ArcGIS
- Start ArcMap and open a blank document.
- Click Customize > Customize Mode > Command tab and enter import in the Show commands containing: search box.
- From the list of items in Categories click File.
- Drag the Import from ArcView project command to the ArcMap toolbar.
ArcMap toolbar will show a Import from ArcView project tool.
- Click Close.
- Click the Import from ArcView project tool on the toolbar and navigate to the ArcView project you would like to import to ArcMap.
- Click OK to import the project.
Importing an ArcView 3 model to ArcGIS
- Create a new model inside a toolbox.
- Click Model > Import > ArcView 3 ModelBuilder.
- Navigate to the location of the .xmd file.
Click file and click Open.
The ArcView 3 model is imported.