Importing a data change message
After the initial data sender exports a data change message, the relative replica must import this message for the pair to be synchronized. Use the Import Message wizard to import the data change or acknowledgment message.
The import phase of the synchronization process occurs within a transaction. The second phase of a synchronization includes a reconcile operation, which also occurs in a transaction. Resources needed, such as undo space or logical log files, vary with the amount of changes to be synchronized. If the import phase completes but the reconcile phase results in an error, the replica will appear as if in conflict, and you can later go in and complete the reconcile manually.
It is recommended that the receiver send an acknowledgment message when a message is imported so that the data sender knows that the message was received. This keeps good communication between the replica pair during the data exchange process and makes it easier to tell if a message is late or has been lost.
The Import Message wizard can be opened from the Distributed Geodatabase toolbar or from the context menu of the geodatabase or geodata service.
- In ArcMap, open the Distributed Geodatabase toolbar and click the Import Message button.
- In the Catalog window, right-click the geodatabase or geodata service published through ArcGIS Server into which you want to import a message, point to Distributed Geodatabase, then click Import Message.
The wizard supports both local and remote geodatabases. Remote geodatabases are accessed in ArcMap through map services that have the geodata access capability enabled.
- Choose the replica geodatabase you want to import a message to.
- Choose the delta file you would like to import.
- Specify a delta file to which an acknowledgment message will be sent.
If you are using a checkout replica, you also have the option to reconcile with the parent version once the message is imported.
Tip:For more information regarding importing messages, click the About Importing Messages button.