Exporting a data change message
For replicas in a disconnected environment, synchronization is achieved through a process of manually exchanging messages between replicas.
Use the Export Data Changes Message utility to export all new data changes (any inserts, updates, and deletes applied to the replica version since the last data change message was exported) and all unacknowledged data changes (previously exported changes for which you have not received an acknowledgment).
You can choose whether or not to include new data changes or unacknowledged data changes. By default, both are included.
If you are using a one- or two-way replica, you can also choose to switch the replica from sender to receiver on export. If you choose to switch, a flag is added to the delta file that causes the relative replica to switch from receiver to sender on import.
The Export Data Changes Message wizard can be opened two different ways—from the Distributed Geodatabase toolbar or from the context menu of the geodatabase or geodata service.
- In ArcMap, open the Distributed Geodatabase toolbar and click the Export Data Changes Message button.
- In the Catalog window, right-click the geodatabase or geodata service published through ArcGIS Server from which you want to export data changes, point to Distributed Geodatabase, and click Export Data Changes Message.
The wizard supports both local and remote geodatabases. Remote geodatabases are accessed in ArcMap through map services that have the geodata access capability enabled.
Select the replica from which you would like to export data changes.
The replica type is displayed.
- Specify the name and type of the delta database or delta XML file to be created.
- For one- and two-way replicas, there are three other check box options. These are inactive for checkout replicas.
- One option for two-way replicas is that you can switch to being a receiver once the message has been exported. Checking this changes the role of the relative replica to that of sender when the message is imported.
By combining the last two check boxes, you have four potential options:
- Include all unacknowledged data changes and new data changes since the last export.
- Include only those unacknowledged data changes that you have not received an acknowledgment message for.
- Don't include any data change messages. This option is useful for sending a message to switch roles without sending any data.