Adding a part to a multipart feature
You can resume digitizing the shape of an existing feature by using the Continue Feature tool. This allows you to add a new part to a feature to create a multipart feature. This tool works with polygons, lines, and multipoint features.
- To use Continue Feature, you must first add it to a toolbar from the Commands tab of the Customize dialog box. Click the Customize menu and click Customize Mode. Click the Commands tab and type Continue Feature in the search box. Drag the command onto any toolbar, such as the Editor or Edit Vertices toolbar.
- Click the Edit tool on the Editor toolbar and double-click the feature you want to edit.
- Click the Continue Feature tool on the toolbar to which you added it.
- If you are creating polygons or multipoint features, simply sketch the shape of the new part. If you are creating lines or want to add more parts to a polygon, right-click, click Finish Part, then continue digitizing the parts. You can also hold down the SHIFT key and double-click the last vertex as a shortcut to finishing the part.
- To change the shape of the sketch segment, click a construction method type on the Editor toolbar or on the Feature Construction mini toolbar. Segments can be created using a variety of methods—for example, as straight lines, with curves, or traced from the shapes of other features. You can also use keyboard shortcuts or right-click to access a menu of commands to help you place vertices in the sketch.
- Right-click anywhere on the map and click Finish Sketch.