Reshaping a polygon
The Reshape Feature tool lets you reshape a polygon by constructing a sketch over a selected feature. The feature takes the shape of the sketch from the first place the sketch intersects the feature to the last.
When you reshape a polygon, if both endpoints of the sketch are within the polygon, the shape is added to the feature.
If the endpoints are outside the polygon, the feature is cut away.
If you want to reshape a feature to match another one, you can use the Reshape Feature tool in conjunction with the Trace construction method. Select the feature, click the Reshape Feature tool, click Trace from the palette on the Editor toolbar, and follow along the edge to perform the reshape.
- Click the Edit tool on the Editor toolbar.
- Click the feature you want to reshape.
- Click the Reshape Feature tool on the Editor toolbar.
- Click the map to create a line according to the way you want the feature reshaped.
- To change the shape of the sketch segment, click a construction method type on the Editor toolbar or on the Feature Construction mini toolbar. Segments can be created using a variety of methods—for example, as straight lines, with curves, or traced from the shapes of other features. You can also use keyboard shortcuts or right-click to access a menu of commands to help you place vertices in the sketch.
- Right-click anywhere on the map and click Finish Sketch.