Creating segments by streaming vertices
When streaming, ArcMap automatically adds vertices at an interval as you move around the map. You might want to stream when creating a curved line, such as a river. Streaming, or stream mode digitizing, is commonly used with a digitizing tablet but can be used simply with a mouse.
To begin digitizing in stream mode, right-click and click Streaming when creating features. You can also press the F8 key to enter stream mode. If you click the map, streaming is suspended. This allows you to click buttons, menus, and other user interface elements. This means you can right-click to access the shortcut menu, enabling you to place a vertex using Absolute X,Y, Delta X,Y, or any of the other commands on that menu. Click the map again to start streaming. To exit from stream mode entirely, right-click and click Streaming or press F8.
An alternative to streaming is the Freehand construction tool, which may be useful in the context of redlining or designing. Freehand creates smooth, Bézier curves automatically.
These steps can be used to create vertices in either lines or polygons:
To create a vertex in a line
Click a line feature template in the Create Features window and click the Line tool .
To create a vertex in a polygon
Click a polygon feature template in the Create Features window and click the Polygon tool .
- Click the Straight Segment construction method on the Editor toolbar.
- Right-click and click Streaming, or press F8.
Digitize the first vertex of the line or polygon feature and move the pointer to draw the feature's shape.
ArcMap creates vertices at the stream tolerance you specified.
- If you click the map, streaming is suspended, so you can switch among construction methods, such as straight or curved, and also click buttons, menus, and other user interface elements. Click the map again to start streaming.
- If you want to exit from stream mode entirely, click the map to suspend streaming, then right-click and click Streaming, or press F8.
- Right-click anywhere on the map and click Finish Sketch.