Creating a segment at an angle from another segment
The Segment Deflection command creates a segment at an angle relative to any existing segment. You could use segment deflection to create a new road at an angle from an existing road. To choose the existing road as the segment to deflect from, simply right-click over it, click Segment Deflection, then type the angle.
The new road is constrained to be at that angle from the existing road.
The segment you work from with segment deflection is 0 degrees, and the deflection angle you specify for the new segment is calculated from there. Positive values are calculated in a counterclockwise direction from the existing segment, while negative values are calculated clockwise. To work only with positive angle values, convert negative angles to positive angles by adding 180 to the negative value. For example, a 45-degree angle (measured clockwise) becomes a 135-degree angle (measured counterclockwise).
These steps can be used to create vertices in either lines or polygons:
To create a vertex in a line
Click a line feature template in the Create Features window and click the Line tool .
To create a vertex in a polygon
Click a polygon feature template in the Create Features window and click the Polygon tool .
- Click the Straight Segment construction method on the Editor toolbar.
- Create at least one vertex.
- Position the pointer over the segment you want to create a new segment from, right-click, then click Segment Deflection.
- Type the desired angle from the segment you have chosen and press ENTER. You can also press F7 to set the angle.
- Click once to digitize the endpoint of the segment, or right-click and click Length to create the segment at an exact length.
To create a segment at an angle from the last segment, right-click and click Deflection. Deflection uses the last segment as 0 degrees and calculates the angle you specify from there. Positive values are calculated in a counterclockwise direction from the existing segment, while negative values are calculated clockwise. You might use Deflection to create the bent end of a water or gas line at a 33-degree angle to a house.