Creating a new coded value domain
At any time in the life of a geodatabase, a new attribute domain can be created using the Domains Properties dialog box.
You can create new attribute range domains, or you can create coded value domains.
If a feature class has subtypes, domains must be applied at the subtype level and not at the fields level. See Creating subtypes.
- In the Catalog tree, right-click the geodatabase and click Properties.
- Click the Domains tab.
- Click the first empty field under Domain Name and type a name for the new domain.
- Press the TAB key or click the new domain's description field and type a description for the domain.
- Click the field next to Field Type, click the drop-down arrow, then click the type of attribute field to which this domain will be applied.
- Click the field next to Domain Type, click the drop-down arrow, then click Coded Values from the list of domain types.
- Click the first empty field under Coded values and type the first valid code.
- Press the TAB key or click the new coded value's Description field. Type a user-friendly description for this coded value.
- Repeat steps 7 and 8 until all valid values and their descriptions have been typed.
- Click the field next to Split policy, click the drop-down arrow, then click the split policy for the new domain. Do the same for the merge policy.
- Click Apply to create the new domain in the geodatabase, or click OK to create the domain and close the dialog box.
Do not use special characters, such as backslashes, in domain names if using a PostgreSQL database.