Converting ArcInfo Workstation coverage, CAD, SDE 3, VPF, or PC ARC/INFO annotation to map document annotation
- Open ArcMap and add the ArcInfo Workstation coverage, CAD, SDE 3, VPF, or PC ARC/INFO annotation feature classes you want to convert to map document annotation.
- Set up the display of your annotation as you would like it to appear when converted.
- Add the Convert Coverage Annotation tool to ArcMap by following the steps detailed here.
- If you will be converting your annotation into an existing annotation group, zoom to its reference scale.
- Click the Convert Coverage Annotation button.
- Check the ArcInfo Workstation coverage, CAD, SDE 3, VPF, or PC ARC/INFO annotation that you want to convert. You can convert multiple annotation classes at once, but they will all be converted into a single annotation group. All converted annotation will have the same reference scale, because all annotation in an annotation group has the same reference scale.
- Click the Into the Map option.
- To convert your annotation into a new annotation group, type a name for the new group. To convert into an existing annotation group, click the down arrow and click the annotation group.
- Click Convert.
- When the conversion is complete, click Close to close the Convert Coverage Annotation dialog box, or repeat the above steps to convert more ArcInfo Workstation coverage, CAD, SDE 3, VPF, or PC ARC/INFO annotation.
To learn more about annotation reference scales, see Converting labels to annotation features.
If you specify an existing annotation group as your target, your converted annotation will be appended to any existing annotation in the group.
You can use this tool to import into a geodatabase annotation feature class. However, it is recommended you use the Import Coverage Annotation tool to import coverage annotation feature classes into the geodatabase.