Making an administrative connection to ArcGIS Server in ArcCatalog
ArcCatalog and the Catalog window in ArcMap allow you to add administrative connections to ArcGIS Server. The account through which you are running ArcCatalog or ArcMap must be a member of the agsadmin group on the SOM machine. Follow the steps below to add a connection.
You cannot administer 9.3.1 or older versions of ArcGIS Server using ArcGIS Desktop version 10. If you or your organization require an administrative connection to manage GIS services, consider upgrading ArcGIS Server to match your installed version of ArcGIS Desktop. Alternatively, you can use ArcGIS Server Manager to manage GIS services.
- Double-click the GIS Servers node in the Catalog tree.
- Double-click Add ArcGIS Server.
- Choose Manage GIS Services and click Next.
- For Server URL, type the URL of the ArcGIS Server instance you want to connect to. This URL will be formatted as follows: http://<server name>/<instance name>/services (for example: http://myServer/arcgis/services).
- For Host Name, type the name of the server you want to connect to. While your GIS server can be configured across several machines, the server name you should specify is the one that's running the server object manager (SOM).
- Click Finish. The server appears in the Catalog tree.